Note: This page contains affiliate links. If you buy something using a link, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
I recommend starting with a lower internet speed than you think you’ll need. It’s much easier to go up in speed than to go down. I recommend starting with the 25 Mbps plan.
Comcast prices for NEW customers
- 25 Mbps – $29.99/month for 12 months
- 60 Mbps – $39.99/month for 12 months
- 150 Mbps – $49.99/month for 12 months
More Expensive option –
ARRIS SURFboard SB6190
Less expensive option – ARRIS Surfboard SB6183-RB 16×4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
You will want an antenna so that you can watch WGN. Currently it is not carried by any streaming services. Make sure you find an antenna that has a radius of at least 50 miles. CBS has a notoriously low signal in the Chicago area. A more powerful antenna will help the picture from CBS come in clear.
An antenna should be placed on a south facing wall or window. A little trial and error may be necessary to find placement with the best picture.
Best bet: Hulu Live ($45/month)
- 7 day free trial
- Has all the channels you want, including locals!
- DVR with up to 50 hours
- Downside: (I think) it is hard to navigate
- These are 2 separate streaming services, with 2 different apps. Neither one has all the channels you want but together they do!
- 7 day free trial for each one
- Both have DVR
- Downside: switching between apps could be annoying
- Downside: together they are more expensive than Hulu Live
Rokus have LOTS of apps, some have paid subscriptions and some have free content. You DO NOT need to download apps for every channel you want to watch. You will get those channels with your streaming service (ex. Hulu Live).
PBS – does not come in any streaming service package. But they have their own free app. The app has a limited number of episodes of each show. It may only have the newest 2-3 episodes. No option for DVR.
If you make a donation of $5/month or $60/year to PBS Passport, it will open up more episodes for streaming.
Netflix – $13/month
Pandora – free music app (you can also pay to upgrade to a premium account)(
Think of your streaming device as your new cable box. You will need one for each TV.
Main TV – Roku Ultra
Other TV – Roku Streaming Stick