The best way to understand streaming TV is to jump in and do it.
You don’t have to cancel your cable before you try out streaming. The streaming services all have free trials. You will need a streaming device (we always recommend Roku) or a Smart TV to try them out.
Note: This page contains affiliate links. If you buy something using a link, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you (it helps pay for my Netflix).
- Make sure your internet speed is at minimum 25 Mbps
- Be aware if your internet plan has data caps
- Order this modem/router
- You might be renting your modem/router from your cable company, owning your own will save you money over time
- This modem/router is compatible with Comcast and WOW! If you have a different internet company, check to make sure it is compatible
- Order a Roku Ultra and set it up on your main TV (or see if your library has one to borrow!)
- Order a Roku Streaming Stick for your other TVs
- Sign up for a free trial of Sling TV (7 days)**
- MAKE SURE you cancel your free trial before it is over. Otherwise your credit card will be charged!
- Try free trials on these other services one at a time.
- Other apps you can use on Roku (to name a few):
- HBO, Showtime, Starz, Netflix, Hulu (each have a free trial period but do require a subscription after that)
- Amazon Prime Video (included with Amazon Prime membership)
- FREE Apps: PBS, PBS kids, YouTube
ONLY USE Streaming for a week and see how it goes!!
**Don’t forget to cancel your free trial RIGHT AWAY to avoid being charged after 7 days. Even if you cancel immediately, you will still have access to the entirety of the free trial.
If you still need help, please reach out and I can help you! Please see my Services page.