Internet Providers will vary greatly based on location. Check out BroadbandNow to find a list of providers in your zip code.
To get the best price on internet, keep these tips in mind:
- Enroll in Ecobill (paperless billing) and autopay, this will usually save you $5-10 per month
- Buy your own modem
- Renting a modem from your internet company will usually cost you $10-15 per month. If you own your own, you will be saving money after about 12 months.
- Again, make sure you are getting at least 25 Mbps or 75 Mbps for 4K
The following information is geared towards the northern suburbs of Chicago. If you’re not in that area, skip ahead! Modems and Routers
Here are some companies to look into:
Xfinity – Sadly, Comcast provides the fastest and most reliable internet for Chicago’s northern suburbs. Prices for new customers differ drastically from prices for existing customers.
- New customers – $50 per month for 100 Mbps for one year
- Existing customers – $80 per month for 100 Mbps
Here are all their offers for new customers these change so please check their website). These include a 12 month agreement, prices go up after 12 months
- $20/month for 25 Mbps
- $40/month for 60 Mbps
- $50/month for 150 Mbps
- $60/month for 250 Mbps (you really don’t need anything faster than this)
- $70/month for 400 Mbps
- And it actually goes up even more from there!
WOW! Internet – WOW serves some of the Chicagoland area, but not all of it. They also can provide TV and phone services. Their internet only packages are the most reasonable behind Google Fiber.
- NO data caps!
- 1 GIG (1000 Mbps) for $80 per month with 2 year agreement
- 500 Mbps for $60 per month with 2 year agreement
- 100 Mbps for $40 per month with 2 year agreement
People seem to be very pleased with WOW. Check and see if it’s available in your area, if not, write and tell them that you want it!
I don’t recommend. They aren’t offering desirable internet only packages at this time and they have a data cap. Here are their packages (plus monthly fees and installation fees).
- $40/month for 5Mbps and a 1 TB data cap
- $50/month for 50 MBps and a 1 TB data cap
- Additional $30/month for unlimited data
Google Fiber – I’m hoping that someday Google Fiber will save us all! Here is what they are providing in Chicago:
- $60 per month or $550 annually
- 1 GIG (1000 Mbps)
- Quick and free same day installation (what!!)
- No contracts necesssary. No additional or hidden fees
Please click “Check Eligibility” at the top right of the page. Even if you know that it isn’t available near you, hopefully they will look to expand into your area. Google Fiber also provides TV and phone service.
Now that you’re all set with internet, you’re going to need to buy a Modem and a Router