Internet Providers will vary greatly based on location. Use this site to find a list of providers in your zip code.
To get the best price on internet, keep these tips in mind:
- Enroll in Ecobill (paperless billing) and autopay, this will usually save you $5-10 per month
- Buy your own modem
- Renting a modem from your internet company will usually cost you $10-15 per month. If you own your own, you will be saving money after about 12 months.
- Again, make sure you are getting at least 75 Mbps
The following information is geared towards the northern suburbs of Chicago. If you’re not in that area, skip ahead! Modems and Routers
Here are some companies to look into:
Xfinity – Sadly, Comcast provides the fastest and most reliable internet for Chicago’s northern suburbs. Prices for new customers differ drastically from prices for existing customers.
- New customers – $55 per month for 100 Mbps for one year
- Existing customers – $80 per month for 100 Mbps
WOW! Internet – WOW serves some of the Chicagoland area, but not all of it. They also can provide TV and phone services. Their internet only packages are the most reasonable behind Google Fiber.
- 1 GIG (1000 Mbps) for $80 per month with 2 year agreement
- 500 Mbps for $60 per month with 2 year agreement
- 100 Mbps for $40 per month with 2 year agreement
People seem to be very pleased with WOW. Check and see if it’s available in your area, if not, write and tell them that you want it!
Google Fiber – I’m hoping that someday Google Fiber will save us all! Here is what they are providing in Chicago:
- $60 per month or $550 annually
- 1 GIG (1000 Mbps)
- Quick and free same day installation (what!!)
- No contracts necesssary. No additional or hidden fees
Please click “Check Eligibility” at the top right of the page. Even if you know that it isn’t available near you, hopefully they will look to expand into your area. Google Fiber also provides TV and phone service.
Now that you’re all set with internet, you’re going to need to buy a Modem and a Router